Select Page

Scholarship recipients work for social change

George Floyd Scholarship Recipients

Mitchell College awarded six of its students the George Floyd Scholarship for the 2021-22 Academic Year, recognizing their leadership ability and desire to effect social change. Nominated by Mitchell faculty for their positive contributions in the classroom, the recipients model Mitchell’s values by their desire to support, serve, protect and help others to build stronger communities and effect social change.

Pictured above (left to right): Aizhene Glenn, Alana Chappelle and Nia Gethers

The latest recipients talk about their goals and how this scholarship has helped them work toward change.

LEARN MORE about the scholarship.

Reforming the Criminal Justice System

Junior Aizhane Glenn, a criminal justice major, works to raise awareness of social justice issues, including racial injustice and poverty and economic injustice. She is currently learning about policing and helping the community as an intern with the Waterford Police Department. Her post-graduation plans include working in the criminal justice field and pursuing a master’s degree in mental health counseling.

Aizhane says, “The George Floyd Scholarship came from a loss of a beautiful person, and it allows people like me to create the change I want to see in the world, preventing similar losses in our community. At Mitchell I am contributing to the change by creating events and a sense of belonging for the diverse community of the college. After college, I hope to create change, helping underprivileged communities and doing my part to reform the criminal justice system.”

A Goal to Help Kids Find Their Way

After she graduates from Mitchell College, Alana Chappelle, a junior criminal justice major, plans to earn a master’s degree and work as a juvenile probation officer.

Alana says, “In this career I would be able to help young kids who can’t find their way by being a positive role model and getting them on the right track.”

Alana supports Black Lives Matter, participating in local protests, donating and signing petitions to help the movement. She plans to complete an internship in her senior year, either with the State of Connecticut or a local police department.

“The George Floyd Scholarship has helped me because it brings awareness to an injustice that people like me have faced for many years and still face to this day. It’s an honor to receive this scholarship because it makes me proud to be who I am.”

Change Starts Here, Now

For Nia Gethers, change in the world begins right here on campus.

She says, “I aspire to help make change by creating events that celebrate the Mitchell College community’s diverse population. The George Floyd Scholarship allows me to continue my education to help others in the future.”

A junior majoring in psychology, Nia is vice president of the Multicultural Student Union and participates in Black Lives Matter protests.

She is currently interning with the school social worker at the Nathan Hale Arts Magnet School in New London.

_______

A contribution to the George Floyd Scholarship fund will offer more support to students like these who are working toward a better world through social change.